Lego Based Therapy is a Social development programme for children with ASD and related conditions such as ADHD. It is now used in school settings and is often recommended by professionals as an intervention for children with social communication needs.
We have a 2 week programme to train parents to be able to use Lego Based Therapy at home with their children.
- To have a good understanding of the principles of Lego Based Therapy
- To feel confident to do Lego Based Therapy with child/children at home
- Have a go of Lego Based Therapy and free style Lego Based Therapy
- Parent/carer and child/children attend a Lego club session giving the parent/carer the opportunity to use what they have learned and make any improvements that may be needed.
Lego Therapy promotes the development of the following skills:
- Joint play rather than solitary play
- Listening and attention
- Turn taking
- Language skills; commenting, requesting, questioning, developing key vocabulary
- Negotiation and joint problem solving
- Tolerance of participating in group activities
- Fine motor skills
Typically, there are three children in the group that take on a different role:
- The Engineer– has a set of instructions for the model and has to request the bricks from the Supplier and direct the builder to put the model together
- The Supplier– has the Lego bricks and supplies the Engineer with the required items upon request
- The Builder– is given the bricks by the Supplier and has to follow the instructions given by the Engineer to make the model.
The adult facilitator’s role is to coach and guide the process in a way that encourages the children to problem solve any issues or breakdowns in communication that arise themselves.
There will be several fully trained facilitators for both sessions.
Up to 21 participants per course.
Lego based therapy sessions – 2 week course
Upcoming dates for 2020:
Date: Wednesday 23rd September (Parents only)
Time: 10:00am – 2:00pm
Date: Wednesday 30th September (Parents & children, siblings welcome)
Time: 5:00pm – 6:30pm
To be held at 33 Gelliwastad Road, Pontypridd, CF37 2BN
If you think this programme could be beneficial to you, please apply below and we will phone or email you to discuss further arrangements.